- This event has passed.
Id-e- Milad (Barawafat)
November 21, 2018 @ 2:00 pm - 7:30 pm| Free
Id-e-Milad is also known as Barawafat or Mawlid and marks the birth of the Prophet Muhammad. According to the Islamic calendar, the birthday of the Islamic prophet Muhammad occurs in the third month, Rabi al-awwal. The history of this celebration goes back to the early days of Islam when some of the Tabi‘un began to hold sessions in which poetry and songs composed to honor Muhammad were recited and sung to the crowds.
- Night-long prayer meetings.
- Marches and parades involving large crowds.
- Sandal rites over the symbolic footprints of the Prophet Muhammad.
- Festive banners and bunting on and in homes, mosques and other buildings.
- Communal meals in mosques and other community buildings.
- Meetings to listen to stories and poems (nats) about Mohammad’s life, deeds, and teachings.
- Exhibitions featuring photos of mosques in the holy cities of Mecca and Medina in Saudi Arabia.
Prophet Mohammed was born in 571 A.D. on 12th April at Mecca in Saudi Arabia. Abdulla was his father and Amina his mother. Khadiza was Mohammad’s wife. That was the period of moral chaos and great corruption. Mohammad spent his time in prayer and meditation in seclusion. He led the people on the path of morality and true religion.